Saturday, March 31, 2012

Living the Dream


When I started nursing school I did it in hopes that I could help broken people who really, really needed someone to care.

It's happening.
I have an opportunity to go to Kenya, Africa.


My nursing program takes a group of students
{along with medical students, a dentist and a team of doctors and nurses}
on a mission trip to Kenya twice a year.
My trip is at the end of August and into September.



For two weeks I will get to see a glimpse of my dream coming true.
A small taste of what is in store.
And, mostly, I will get to provide these beautiful people - who have never seen a doctor or nurse, never had a clinic in their slum, never had true medical care - with treatment to meet their real needs.
I have this privilege. 



When I first heard about the trip and sent in my application I was asked if maybe I was a little bit crazy to want to put myself into this mess.
I mean, it's a complete disaster in the areas we will be visiting.
But all I can think about is the people.
The precious people.
I might be crazy...but I really love people.
And they need help that I might be able to provide.
If I can. I will.



I'm absolutely overcome with excitement at this opportunity.
And, knowing my little group of readers, you probably think it's pretty awesome too.
If you want to help, we have a long list of supplies (many you can find at a drug store) that we would love to be able to bring.
The only supplies we can use in the slums are the ones we are able to bring with us.
If you donate I will find a way to pack it in the 2 suitcases I'm allowed.
I may wear the same stinky scrubs all week if I can fill up my space with Tylenol and band-aids.
Charming.
: )

If you're interested in getting the list of items we need, please email me at
starcrossedserves @ hotmail . com

This trip also comes with a price.
$3,000 to pay for airfare, medical supplies, food and housing for myself and translators.
Though this trip is through my school, the expenses aren't covered by student loans or scholarships.
If you could to donate money for supplies and trip expenses I would be so grateful.
I feel self conscious asking for money...it's not my favorite thing.
But I guess when it comes to these types of things, partnership is the only way they can get done.
You do the part only you can do and I do the part only I can.

If you would like to help in this way, I have a paypal account set up for this purpose.

You can also email me to get information on where to send a check if you'd rather do it that way.

All photos are via the nerdy nurse.

And always pray. 
That is the most useful thing of all.

I will keep you updated, and quite informed.
Maybe even more than you wanted... 
: )
Told you I'm excited.

Video about the mission from past trips:




Oh, and as of right now I am filling my house with the smell of curry-spiced nuts roasting in the crockpot.
Mouthwatering, I tell you.
Recipe coming your way.

4 comments:

Lesley @ my lively mind said...

wow, that will be amazing. i just graduated from nursing school in december, and sadly, my school didn't offer anything like that. what an awesome thing you get to accomplish!! can't wait to hear all about it after it happens!

Alicia Marie said...

Seriously. This is amazing. I am BEYOND excited for you. Africa will steal your heart... it sure did mine. Looking forward to hearing more about it. SO SO SO excited for you. Kenya is beautiful. I LOVE that you are doing this...and i may try to sneak in your bag. ( I can administer band-aids pretty well...that's all. I will even bring my own band-aids.)

Sarah said...

I LOVE that you are doing this! It sounds like an absolutely incredible experience and I am so excited for you! You'll be in our prayers!

Sabrina said...

I have syringes, and I think I have some leftover unopened meds from IVF transfers past... perhaps could be used for... something? I'll get back to you.. totally envious!!