Monday, March 19, 2012

Leek & Gruyere Frittata...For One

On a pretty little morning in March,
one on which i did not have a million to-do's cluttering my list,
{or I was, at least, able to ignore that list...}
I made a frittata.

My very first one.

And it was a success.
Mostly.

I started with the leeks.
Sliced thin.


Those leeks were set to saute nicely in a pan of olive oil and butter.

The new block of Gruyere {a delicious swiss cheese which melts beautifully} was unwrapped and shredded.
And I fetched the eggs...


...the eggs. 
There were two.
The recipe called for six large, organic eggs.
My eggs were not organic...they were medium...and there were only two.
See? There, in the picture.
Two lonely, white, medium eggs.

I would have just given up at that moment...the moment of insufficient eggs.
But my neatly sliced leeks were just getting to the lightly brown stage and they smelled so perfect.

I switched to a smaller pan, removed some of the leeks and pushed on with my two sad eggs and made this a frittata for one.

Here's the pretty little girl ready to pop into the oven.


And here she is plated.


I had prepared Mr. B. for a grand frittata breakfast before he stepped into the shower and by the time he emerged the breakfast for two had shrunk to a breakfast for one.
I hated to break the news that he would only get a few bites of this gorgeous smelling experiement.
{I am a wonderfully giving wife. But when it comes to leeks and swiss cheese...well, I have my limits.}

So, he got three bites {three very large bites} and declared it "very flavorful."
Mr. B. is a tough critic.
Not because his taste buds are so discerning and refined but because...well...they're sort of dull.
He's not picky at all and this culinary vocabulary is a bit lacking.
Usually I get a, "yeah, it's good." after some prodding and guilt-inducing comments.
So, to get an actual descriptive adjective out of him was quite a triumph.

This {less-than} frittata was a success.



I'm going to be generous and assume that your refrigerator is much more abundantly stocked than my sorry  situation.
I'm going to give you the full recipe.

This one is from Gwyneth Paltrow's fantastic cookbook, My Father's Daughter, which I wrote about here.

Leek & Gruyere Frittata


1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large leek, washed and thinly sliced
coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
6 organic large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the butter and oil over med heat in a 10-in cast-iron skillet. Saute the leek slices until soft and just barely browned, 6-8 minutes. Season with plenty of s&p.
Meanwhile, beat the eggs and milk to combine in a mixing bowl. Pour over the leeks. Sprinkle the top with cheese. Let it cook for about 5 minutes, or until just set on the edges {it will still be very runny in the middle}. Stick it in the oven for 8 minutes, it should be just set throughout.


If you've never cooked with leeks before, don't be shy.
They are a wonderful vegetable.
They have a deliciously mild onion taste.

Enjoy!
{And be sure to count your eggs...}

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Never eaten leakes before, or had a fritta but this looks delish!

ps- your pictures are looking beautiful! Great job Mrs. B!

Jamie Willow said...

I bought leaks at Walmart once...the clerk had no idea what it was. Ha. Same thing with artichokes at my Kroger. I'm always teaching the check out people about veggies.