Saturday, August 27, 2011

On Kindergarten

Two weeks ago my boy, Beck, had his first day of Kindergarten.
All suited up with his favorite plaid shorts and new monogrammed LL Bean pack he was ready for the adventure of his first day of school.
...and, in the process, ready to break his mother's heart.

This kid is totally his teacher's favorite. How could he NOT be?!
It really wasn't in my ideal plan to send my little ones off to preschool and Kindergarten...
it's funny how my ideal plan is rarely ever God's ideal plan. 

I'm not totally sold on the whole formal schooling idea.
I mean, yeah, the kids need to learn, they need to be educated and "socialized" and all of that business.
But does it really require 7+ hours a day 5 days a week?
I am beginning to despise dropping my boy off at 8:30 in the morning and not seeing him again until 3:30 in the afternoon.
It's not natural, leaving my child under the influence of someone for more hours in the day than even I am with him.
I'm sure the teacher is a lovely woman and a perfectly capable teacher...
but...
she is not me.

I have so many other thoughts and feelings about all of this.
But this post wasn't meant to be a "bash-traditional-schooling-and-anyone-who-partakes-in-it post."
{I've read many of those and I'm totally not into it.}

What I'm trying to say here is:
My boy started Kindergarten.
He is doing wonderfully and adores it.
 It's not our ultimate plan,
but I truly believe it is what we're supposed to be doing for the moment.
As soon as I get the "go-ahead" to pull the babies out and bring them home for schooling I will do so.
Until then, we are blessed and happy and living a life of lunchboxes, parent-teacher conferences and daily 3:30 homecomings that make the light come back into my day.


2 comments:

Lyndee said...

First they go to Kindergarten, then they go off to college, then they get married, have kids of their own and move a long ways away....they break your heart for years and years. Guess you never get used to it when you are a mom who really enjoys their kids.
Looking way forward to coming next Saturday at 3:30 PM. Yay!

Jamie Willow said...

I can't even fathom it at this point...

I'm glad he's the teachers fave and I'm glad he likes it....this is for sure bittersweet.