Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mangoes for Dinner

I've been wanting to blog for a few days now...
but I don't have anything to write about.
Nothing to say.
Me.

So, I thought I'd break the silence by writing about dinner.
That's safe, right?

Here it is...
The Post About Dinner.


Tonight we had mangoes for dinner.

I'm always unhappy with my mango-cutting technique. Can anyone ever cut a mango to look pretty?
I mean, I've seen Giada do it once on her show and it looked lovely.
Like the most proper chopped mango I've ever seen.
Like a mango that was just begging to have tea with the Queen.
But I can't do that.
Mangoes that go under my knife get hacked and sliced beyond recognition.
Baby helped...


He was happy with the juices dripping down his arms and clear to his elbows.
Summer isn't Summer til you get juice to your elbows.


Then I grabbed a ripe peach for good measure and haphazardly diced that little baby (I'm not very peach savvy either...it's that darned pit).




And they made the prettiest little salad tossed together in a bowl.
The sherbet orange and pink.
Like a sunset you could taste.

I turned on my "folk" playlist...which happens to be made up of mostly Patty Griffin and lit a candle for the table.

This setting-the-table, lighting-the-candles doesn't happen much midweek because my hard-workin' hunk of a husband works quite late during the week and the kids and I are solo for dinner/bedtime routines.
{Don't think this little fact doesn't give me massive amounts of mommy-guilt whenever I hear about those studies done about families that eat dinner together.
Their kids are smarter, more loving, more respectful and generally more worth living on our planet.}
Anyway, I pulled out all the stops for our mango dinner.
It was a fancy mango dinner...that makes it okay to serve a fruit as an entree to your children.

Okay...
no, it doesn't.
It's never okay to serve fruit as an entree to your children.
They're worth more than that, even if you don't sit down to cozy family dinners every night.
So I made my mom's Spinach {Not-Really-}Quiche to go along with the mangoes.


If you haven't made this recipe yet, please do.
It's not real quiche, really it's an impostor if you want to be totally snobby about it.
{I know some people who would.}
With its crust of crescent rolls...
How American in Paris is that?!


But really, it's totally yummy and the kids completely devour it and kiss my face and declare me the "best cooker in the world" when I make it...
every mom should have that experience with the secret knowledge tucked away that it's made of mostly spinach and eggs and, therefore, one of the best things your kids can eat.
{Minus the lame crescent roll crust.}

So, our mid-week dinner was delish and there were seconds and thirds and...well...fourths.
And even the baby said "more" in the sweet way he does.


See?
I'm not a total failure as a mother.
We may not eat dinner as a family every night but my kid knows sign language.
And sometimes having taught your child sign-language {even if it is only one word} is all you have.


I have so many other things I'd like to share here.
Like, Beck started Kindergarten and I have cute pictures and a lot of thoughts about that...
I finished yet another semester of school.
And other random ramblings that may or may not be blog-worthy.

Until then, enjoy the end of summer and eat mangoes until the juices run down your arms.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I have missed you!!! Yeah on another semester! WHOA baby looks more like a little BOY!!! Eek! So cute!

Saundra said...

YIKES! Who is that little boy in the pictures and where did Baby Britt go? So happy to see your blog again:) Love you.

Mrs. D said...

Like I already told you ... Even when you think you have nothing to say or blog about, you somehow manage to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside after reading your posts ... You keep my hope alive that good happy people still exist in this crazy scary world we live in ... :-)

Saba Jean said...

The spinach (not really) quiche looks yummy, can you post the recipe sometime? Thanks!
P.S. I've missed your posts!

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

I've missed you. Well, your blog AND you.

Keep blogging.

Good work on a busy summer!

Banish the guilt.

Your kids are soooo cute.

Bye.

Anonymous said...

As someone who would like to go back to school with 2 young ones, can i ask you how you do it? Do you have a sitter or family to help when you are studying? how do you balance being a sahm and a student?

Mrs. B. said...

Saba Jean - The quiche recipe has been posted...a year ago, maybe? I linked to it in the post but I realize now that it may not have been clear enough. :) If you click on the bolded "Spinach Quiche" in the post, it will take you there. Let me know if you make it! And how you like it.

Anon - I have a fabulous support system in place. My husbands strange work schedule actually works out for me going to school. He has a 3 hour break in the middle of the day in which he can come home and watch kids. Plus, my mom lives not too far away and she watches them the other times I can't be home. I am so blessed. Soon the little ones will start preschool two days a week and that will take care of more time I have to be in class.

Saba Jean said...

Thanks Mrs B, I feel all "duh"... I should have known there was a link. Are you OK with me "pinning" your recipe on my recipe board on "Pin It"? If you're not, no problem. I just wanted to ask first. Thanks

Mrs. B. said...

Saba Jean - I'm totally fin with Pins! Love it. :)