Monday, April 18, 2011

The Kitchen Garden :: Planting and Labeling

Yesterday was the day.
Sunny.
Breezy.
Spring-y.
Garden-y.

These spindly little dears were on their way to their forever home:


Is it normal for seedlings to be this skinny?
Is this what they call "leggy?"
They definitely weren't hardy and robust...
I think they didn't get enough good light in my front window.
Next year calls for grow lights.
This year calls for a little extra prayer.
: )

A couple of weeks ago we added topsoil to our empty beds.


Side note: Gardening is much more enjoyable when you've got a "helper" with arms like that.
Delish.

A couple of weeks ago I planted some rainbow mixes of carrots and radish (radishes? raddi?).
And the radishes have started poking their adorable little heads up.


I was at a bit of a loss on how to handle labeling my plants.
I wanted to get something like this:


gardenersedge.com

But never got around to finding them.
I heard there were some cute ones at the Target Dollar Spot.
Totally missed out on that...

But I have a huge bowl of little sea shells that we gathered on one of our trips to South Carolina.
The kids love playing with a big bunch of shells...something about the sheer quantity.
So I snatched a few and whipped out my Sharpie {by the way, I think I have a Sharpie addiction} and went to town.


I am aware that this would be a lot more appropriate for a coastal garden...and I'm landlocked in the Midwest.
Yeah, that bugs me.
But its cute, and it works.
I'd still like to get a good deal on some metal stakes though.



My plants are small and I'm just hoping they like their garden home more than their little starter pots.
My Amish Snap Peas are cute though.
Look at their little curls...

And the flourishing lilac is one of my favorite spring miracles.


More on Operation Green Thumb as we get further into the season.
How I hope I have flourishing garden pics to share with you! 

More on The Kitchen Garden:

7 comments:

maegan said...

how exciting! I bought a tomato plant, zucchini, green bell pepper, cilantro and basil the other day. I have kept them alive and growing for over a week. Im so proud... they are all in pots right now and Im just waiting for my husband to finish the box garden in the back yard.

Anonymous said...

Looking good......love the peas!
M

Alicia Marie said...

It all looks so wonderful... I wish I wasn't so afraid of killing plants...

I can't wait to see what comes out of the garden!

Karie said...

You might wish you weren't land locked but I'd give anything to have that beautiful Lilac somewhere close to me. I'm a Midwest girl at heart and boy do I miss lilac's! Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Sarah said...

Adorable and depressing for me :( It is SNOWING here today. SNOWING. I am itching to get into my garden!!!

Josh said...

I used LED grow lights on my indoor herbs and they went gangbusters..!!

jaya said...

just linked this article on my facebook account. it’s a very interesting article for all.


Kitchen Garden