Friday, April 1, 2011

Banana Bread for Grown-Ups - Recipe of the Month

I love banana bread.
I've been looking for that perfect recipe for quite awhile.
I tried the full-o-fat route, the honey-as-sweetener route, the flax meal and whole wheat flour route.
No, no and no.

While I was reading Molly Wizenberg's {perfect} book, I came across her favorite banana bread recipe.
And it was intriguing.
So much so that I dropped the book and checked the cupboards.
Delighted to find that I had all ingredients on hand
 (sort of a miracle since I don't keep candied ginger in my house ordinarily)
I threw it together and promptly fell in love with this bread.
In. Love.
Amore.
Amour.
Lieb.
(that's Yiddish)
: )


I call it Banana Bread for Grown-Ups, but really, feed it to your kids.
They'll adore it.
Mine do.
Or...you can tell them that Star-Crossed said it was only for grown-ups and they're not allowed to have any.
While you're at it, tell your husband that Star-Crossed said it's Banana Bread for Moms and he's to stay away too.

The ginger and chocolate in here take banana bread up a notch...or three.
It's divine.
(I get candied ginger from Trader Joe's.)


 {oh, glory. look at that chocolate in there and the chunks of ginger. beautiful.}


Banana Bread for Grown-Ups
{with chocolate chips and ginger}
adapted from the book: A Homemade Life and the blog: Orangette

1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
2 ripe medium-size bananas
3 Tbs milk
2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
Small chunks of candied ginger, to taste (I use about 3 tablespoons)
½ cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with butter or cooking spray, and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar, egg, and butter.
In a separate bowl, mash bananas; then mix with milk.
In another separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three parts, alternating with banana-milk mixture in two parts, stirring by hand until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, ginger, and optional nuts.
Turn batter into loaf pan, smoothing top with the back of a spoon, and bake for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes; then remove bread from pan and cool on a wire rack.


As always, if you end up making this recipe let me know how it turned out and if you love it as much as I do.


Past recipes of the month:

Click HERE for a comprehensive list of the recipes I've shared on this blog.

My review of A Homemade Life.


I know I haven't posted my 20 in 10 weigh-in today.

If you can believe it, I forgot to weigh in this morning.
And you can bet your boots I stay away from my scale after breakfast.
I'll share the goods tomorrow.

4 comments:

StephG said...

Woo-hoo! My bananas are ready & I can't wait to make this! Yummy!!!!

Lacy said...

Made it today, delicious! I left out the ginger, only because I didn't have any. It reminds me a lot of my grandma's recipe that I usually make. Thanks for sharing!!

Mrs. B. said...

Lacy! I'm so glad you made it. :) But next time, promise you'll use the ginger! It MAKES the bread. Mmmm...

jek said...

Wow, just realized you posted this almost 2 years ago. Just made the bread, but also didn't make the special trip to find ginger. Instead I used peanut butter chips. So good. The bread itself is delicious and cooks so well. I should probably go make myself some dinner so I don't eat the whole loaf before hubby gets home.