Sunday, March 20, 2011

That's the Way Life Is...

We've taken the weekend to visit my father-in-law.
He's in an assisted living home in Wisconsin and he's not doing well.
Parkinsons Disease-like symptoms, multiple falls and injuries, dementia and, most recently, pneumonia.
His body is wracked with pain. 
This man, my husband's daddy.
I hear stories of life and love - working on the old car engine together, taking afternoon naps together in the BestReclinerEver, the talk they had on our wedding day - She's yours to take care of now, son. No excuses. She's yours now.

I didn't know the man he was...I saw tiny glimpses, but he was drifting away by the time I met my Brawny Man.
But I know he was good.
I know he was strong, and capable and loving.
I know this because Mr. B. learned to be a man from him...
And he's a good, good man.


We love you so, Jack.

9 comments:

Katie said...

What a beautiful post, Ashley. You're a wonderful wife, I'm sure Ira knows this. My prayers are with all of you during this time.

Jessica said...

Crying... thinking about my Grandpa and what a true man he was.

Saundra said...

(teary-eyed) My heart hurts for Lynda and Ira and all the family. Seeing your dad not be the dad you remember before he was ill is heart-breaking, I know. The comfort we have is knowing when the Lord decides it's his time, that dad will be better than what we remember and partying with Jesus in a new body! Still, it doesn't make this time easy, enjoy your moments with him and share lots of memories and stories. Love you, and we're praying.

Andrea said...

Such beautiful words. Praying for you and your family.

Lucy said...

I'm so sorry for your father in law's pain. It seems he has quite a legacy.

Burkinator said...

Praying for all of you. And I'm so glad you guys were able to get up there. I just keep thinking of Jack crying through Jamie's wedding. That man loves his children so much...

Jamie Willow said...

oh gosh, crying. thanks for this Ash

Jennalu said...

Hey Ashley, this made me cry to. I have seen Jack through this journey of his and am blessed to be near him to make him laugh, smile, and cry tears of joy. He is a good man and so blessed to have him in my life and to be a part of his. Jack and Lynda are remarkable people and I am blessed to have them in my life and for me to be in theirs. Thanks for this post!

Sharles Johnson said...

Dads a irreplaceable and their legacy's are forever. We can take comfort in knowing that this longing to "come home",comes in Gods timing. We have comfort in seeing the grace of God. We have unspeakable joy knowing that we "see" them again.
Take care Jamie and Family