Friday, March 25, 2011

20 in 10 :: Week Four

Well...
20 in 10.
Hum.
The aim was to loose 2 lbs a week.
Last week we were travelling so I didn't weigh in.
This week I weighed in 1 lb lower than my last weigh in two weeks ago.
Got that?
Math's not my strong point but that doesn't quite add up even to me.
I'd better not keep this pace or my challenge will be more like
20 in never.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Let's focus on the positive, shall we?
In four weeks I've lost five pounds.

I'm still on track, I can make up my "lost" time.

A few have been asking what my tactics are for this weight loss.
No fancy little pills or injections or silly diets.

It's really revolutionary...
get this.
Exercise.
Diet control.
Health.

I know, right?
Crazy.

And yeah, things are going more slowly for me than if I had a magic serum that made me lose 40 pounds in one month (it's out there!) but I have comfort knowing I'm doing this in a healthy, sustainable way.
Though it may be slower.


Here's what I like for workouts:

It's not a pretty workout when I go at it - not a drop of Latin blood flowing through these veins.
But its a fun, effective one.
(My aunt told me I was too Swedish for Zumba. Ha!)
I do it at home in the comfort of my own living room.
I have an irrational (or not-so-irrational) fear of group exercise classes.

She kicks my buns.
And I like it.

Tried and true workouts that make me feel relaxed and lean.

Soon I'll start running - this weather is killing me - and training for a 5k that I'd like to run this summer.

I like doing my workouts at home with free weights and the tools I have.
Gyms are so dirty and grimy, I just can't feel comfortable in a gym environment.
Ironic, considering how Brawny Man makes his living.


Nutrition:

I've been trying to stay middle-of-the road with my diet changes.
Britt is still a nursing dude and I'd like to keep it that way.
If I change my diet too much I know I dry right up so I've toned it down in the junk food dept. but haven't been completely angelic.

Once I'm ready to wean the little Mr. I'll hit the guidelines given in this book.

I love this book.
I don't see it as a fad diet, if you read it you'll realize it's more of a lifestyle change and theory of the way your blood type (A, AB, B or O) effects how food works with your body.
I followed the guidelines for a short time (read: 1 week) about 6 months ago and had such good results.
I adored it.
But my milk started drying up (sorry, boys) because of the weight loss and I had to put it on the back shelf.

Basically, for my blood type (O) it is a gluten and dairy free diet with a big emphasis on red meats, seafood and veggies.

I felt light and glowy and fab while I followed it.
Excited to go back on it.

So that's it!
The run-down.

If you're following along with me and you're on your own weight-loss journey, please comment with your weight-loss (or gain...it's okay!).
I still want to feature a few of the top-losers and your weight-loss strategies to inspire all of us.

Also...
My husband is a personal trainer.
{How's that for pressure?}
Did you know this?
He has been for ten years.
He's really good.
He also is very patient when it comes to fielding weight-loss and fitness questions.
So...this is where you get to ask him whatever you want.

I'll take questions for the next couple of weeks in the comments section and in about two weeks I'll have him do a guest post - Brawny Man's first blog post! So cute! - answering the best questions.

Fun?
Yes!

Now I'm off to try my best to catch up to the two-pounds-a-week goal I set out for myself.
Let's hope for a three pound loss next Friday.

12 comments:

Karen R. said...

Your doing great! The only exercise I get is carrying my 20 lbs baby in a sling. I did a lot of bending over one day with him and I could barely walk for 2 days! I know for me drinking Kombucha (you can get it at any healthy store) has been awesome. It's just a raw drink and it detoxes you and gives lots of natural energy. I have lost a lot of weight doing nothing but like you said eating healthy and drinking those.

Mrs. B. said...

Thanks Karen! I'll have to look it up and get some. I saw you post about it on your blog...interesting!

debinoxford said...

It's been slow going for me as well. I blame having a massive head cold the last five days. Finally feeling better and about to do my yoga for the day. Here's hoping I can get back on track!

I also really enjoy Zumba- but definitely feel like a moron doing it and I'm so glad I do it alone at home.

Jodi said...

I'm down 2.5 lbs since last Friday and 3.5 lbs total, with my gain a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for posting your regimen, Ash! Do you have DVDs for the Zumba, yoga and pilates? I'd be interested in the title of the Zumba one. I'd love to do it but I don't have a class close to me. I've been walking on the treadmill... tried running today for a few minutes; it wasn't bad... and doing free weights and exercises with my ball. I do have a personal trainer and she's been really good at keeping me interested in this work out thing.

Jodi said...

I've had the Kombucha tea... yummy! I'm not sure it's good for nursing moms, though. Stores in my area had to stop selling it for awhile because of the alcohol content (fermentation).

Karen R. said...

Yes Jodi is right. It has the same amount of alcohol as a glass of orange juice that sits on the counter overnight. If you start drinking it while you are nursing make sure you drink a TON of water so it does not pass through your breast milk.It only will if you are dehydrated. At least a gallon or more of water a day, which probably adds to the big weight loss!

Alicia Marie said...

I started Weight Watchers almost 2 weeks ago. I lost 2.4 lbs the first week...will weigh myself again on Sun am.
Last week I was able to get a few walks in (Pushing 60+lbs of stroller and babes) and some free weights.
Still nursing separated stomach muscles, so not sure of major core stuff.
This week...no exercise. :(

WW for breastfeeding moms is designed to lose a pound a week...but I would LOVE more. I am nervous about the whole loss of milk. And I am really interested in that book.
Let me know how it goes once you wean Britt.

yvette said...

I've lost 4.5 pounds in the last 4 weeks. I have not been watching what I eat for the last 2 weeks, so I need to get that back under control.
The good news is I have been working out pretty consistently-I have gooten some exercise in for 30 of the last 37 days. Right now I'm doing 30 day shred and walking/jogging on the treadmill. So, as soon as I get the food issue under control I should be doing great :-)

Maegan said...

I cannot get rid of my sweet tooth.. It is my only downfall... I think I eat pretty healthy. It's just the big chunk of cake I eat after the veggies..

So my question to Mr. B. Major Tummy flab.. how do I get rid of it? and what are some other fun ways to get cardio in besides running? I always have good intentions when I begin running and I always stop bc its boring.

Courtney said...

You're doing great! I started my journey to lose 20 lbs on January 10th and have lost 16.4 lbs and I weigh in on Sunday! When I first started I was aiming for a 2 lb a week weight loss but being realistic, it just didn't happen. I had one week where I lost nada, then I had two weeks (not back to back) where I lost 2.8 lbs! I've been averaging 1.6 lbs a week with some weeks lower and some weeks higher. I like to think as long as I'm losing, then I'm okay with it!

I'm doing a low carb/high protein diet along with exercise 6 days a week. I do circuit training 4 days a week and sprinting/interval training on the treadmill for 20 minutes 2 days a week! I have 3.6 lbs to go until my goal and I'm hoping I will get there on April 3rd! :)

Good luck!

Truly His said...

Way to go, Ashley! I just love your blog and your reads...

Andrea said...

I've been reading some stuff online bout eating for your type, etc. too...

that book sounds really interesting. My blood type is O too!

a brawny man post.....that sounds awesome. such a good idea.