Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Love Words - Song of Solomon Style

The Brawny Man and I have been watching a series of sermons on the Song of Solomon.
(HERE, a series I first heard about at this blog.)

It's been so good for us.
For our {already happy} marriage.

If you're not familiar with the book Song of Solomon (in the Bible), it is a series of love letters from King Solomon to his new wife and vice versa.
They're really in love.
Like, really.
And their words are quite arduous and sometimes hilarious if you don't think of them in biblical context.

There are things like this:
"Behold you are beautiful, my love...
Your hair is like a flock of goats
leaping down the slopes of Gilead.
Your teeth are like a flock of shorn ewes
that have come up from the washing,
all of which bear twins,
and not one among them has lost its young."
(4:1-2)

Back then those were some pretty steamy love words.
Now?
Notsomuch.

One of the benefits of watching this sermon series with my Brawny Man is the fervor its put back in us for making one another feel special.
Feel loved.
And all of the things that entails.
(I'm just being honest here. We're all big boys and girls, we can handle it.)

Another of the benefits would be the pure hilarity of trying to compliment each other in the Song of Solomon style.

This morning I got this one:
(He's smelling the nape of my neck.)
"Mmm...you smell good.
You smell like a flock of 1,000 goats descending from the high mountains."

Say what?!
 : )

Mr. B. has had a steady stream of "love word" texts from the Missus (that would be me)
in the Song of Solomon style this morning.
And they are quite the crack up.


That Mr. B.
I love him.
Even if he does "smell strongly like the waters of a swamp thick with mold."


6 comments:

Andrea said...

love that you're going through this series! It's really a good one, and was so beneficial for us too. :)

Abby said...

Ash this is so cute! Gotta love smelling like a flock of 1,000 goats:) LOVE YOU! xoxo

Beka said...

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! I love it! :) I'm going to have to check that out! Me and Mr. Superman Fox need some steamy Song of Solomon time! ;)

oh wait........ I'm already pregnant.
HAHAHA! ;)


THANKS SO MUCH!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

SO FUNNY! I saw the word "here" and the link and thought, she has GOT to be talking about The Peasant Princess.
Sure enough.
I am sure you know by now I am a Mark Driscoll junky. Sometimes I feel like I mention him TOO much on my blog but I just love his preaching.
We haven't listened to this together, just me, but a couple months ago hubby had his own little song of songs flub - I was complaining about my lipstick and he said, "Oh Ang, Your lips are like pomagranates." I said babe, I think you mean my BOOBS.

Every night when I blog (hubby works nights) I have a Mark Driscoll sermon playing in the background.

Angela,
ParisienneFarmgirl.com

Rachel said...

I think they need to give Bachelor Brad and the ladies words like that to say to each other. Now that would be great television (then I might actually watch it!

Mrs. B. said...

Rachel - The Bachelor Song of Solomon style would be completely hilarious.
Oh my... :)

Angela - Pomegranate lips...I can think of worse things! Haha.