Monday, January 31, 2011

A Day in January

Saturday, January 29th I woke to the whir and clatter of my pots and pan lids being spun like tops in the kitchen.
You may call us a lot of things...you can add "easily amused" to the list.


After I threw a few of these little puppies in the oven:

I sat for an email/facebook/blog check.


 See my pretty hydrangeas? Thank you, Brawny Man.

The piglets paused in their raucous floor play and posed for a photo op.



The Danish Pancakes come steaming and brown from the oven.
They are beautiful.


Topped with powdered sugar and squirted with lemon juice they are one of my all time favorite things I've ever put in my mouth.
Crispy on the outside, soft and eggy on the inside.
Thanks Katie for the product recommendation!


Britt goes down for his nap and I park the big kids on the couch with an apple each and Alice in Wonderland in the DVD player.

It's Saturday, we're allowed.
(Yes, Beck has changed his clothes to shorts and nary else.)

The kids relax...take naps...munch on fruit...
live the high life.
While I do a little post party clean-up and laundry.
No pics of that exciting action.

Baby practices his cruising.


Brawny Man comes from his Saturday appointments and wraps up some phone business.


And then...wonder of wonders...I get the house to myself while he takes the piglets to the nearest playground.
The weather was snow-melty but playground-able.
So off they went...


I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had the house completely to myself since having children.
It was blissful.
I'm not even sure what I did.
I think I just glanced around for a few minutes.
Took in the quiet...my house can be this quiet??
I think I cleaned up the living room and watched it stay clean for longer than 20 minutes.
That was amazing.
I also believe I went to the bathroom in peace.
That was even more amazing.

Then I started dinner.
And then they came home.
Begging for hot chocolate to warm their rosy cheeks and frosty noses.




Evie is the hot chocolate helper.
She's good at it.
Says she wants to be a "Maker" when she grows up.
This means a cook.
: )
It makes my heart happy to hear that.

There isn't much more to the night after that.
I get dinner (an Asian stir-fry with scallops) on the table and we devour.
The kids go to bed and Mr. B. and I laze in an amiable zombie-like manner for a couple of hours before we head to bed ourselves.

The last picture I have of the day is my scallops being coated in sesame seeds.


They're kind of fleshy and slimy.
Ick.
Here's my secret: I don't like scallops.
There, I said it.

And that's the end of the Day in January.
Did you document your Day in January?
If you did, please link up!







On another note, today I baked up a batch of sweet little scones...
They are the Recipe of the Month for February.
They feature the most unlikely pairing of scone flavors...
You'll never guess.
: )
I'll tell you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jamie Willow said...

I took the pics! Now to offload them from my camera and blog them :) probably will take me a couple days :)

glad you had some alone at the house time! sweet!

Alicia Marie said...

I love the fact that you mentioned going to bathroom in peace. I often head to our back master bathroom to sneak in a second of quiet...before they find me!

Where in the world did you get scallops in MO?!

I linked up. I decided that I need a 3rd arm to actually document a real life day... I can't take pictures of 80% of what I do because my hands are full...of babies.

Lucy said...

A maker! I just love that...