Wednesday, December 29, 2010

NYE To-Do List

I'm hosting the sweetest, tiniest of get-togethers for New Year's Eve this year.
I can't venture to call it a party.
The word "party" conjures images of raucous dancing and strobe lights.
This gathering is more at the pace of
babies-sleeping-in-the-next-room,
I-might-fall-asleep-on-the-couch-before-the-ball-drops,
is-anyone-up-for-a-rousing-game-of-11:00pm-scrabble?

Now wait, before you laugh and think,
"Geeze, I'm glad I wasn't invited to this lame party."
You have to keep in mind that NYE for us is normally a non-event that ends around 11:15pm
under the glow of the living room Christmas tree, sparkling cider in hand,
with a shrug and a "Happy New Year, baby. We tried to make it to midnight."

So, this year, I'm outdoing myself with a small celebration to ring in the new.

My to-do list:

Compile the perfect NYE playlist.

Hang twinkle lights.
Everywhere.

Review the recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon (Julia's recipe) and give myself a little pep talk.
"It's just beef stew, it's just beef stew..."

Grocery shop.

Set the table.

Buy sparklers.

Get something glittery to drink.

Compile the rest of the menu.

Place cozy blankets strategically around living room.
(There may be more snoozing on the couch than anything else.)

Find an equally cute and comfy outfit to wear.

Set up make-shift beds for slumbering babies.

Figure out favors.

Make resolutions.



If you have any suggestions in the menu, sparkly drinks or music categories, please leave a comment.
Ideas welcome!

6 comments:

Erica said...

I just did a cranberry salsa that was super delicious(recipe off allrecipes.com). Also, I mixed up a sweet raspberry mustard to go with pretzels. I found a sweet hot mustard and just mixed in some raspberry perserves (2/3 to 1/3). Good luck... sounds like fun... def. our kind of party:)

Mrs.M said...

Sounds fun! It will be just the Mr and I for New Years Eve as usual. I'm usually asleep before midnight. ;) A holiday drink I love (it's not sparkly though, sorry) is the Baileys Holiday Martini. Which says a lot since I don't usually like martinis. Anyway, the recipe that I follow is

2 ounces Baileys Original Irish Cream
1/4 ounce Smirnoff Vodka
1/4 ounce Godiva Milk Chocolate Liqueur
Raspberry for garnish
Directions

Shake with ice and pour into martini glass. Make it look pretty with a rasberry. :) Have fun and I can't wait to see pictures!

P.S, Twinkle lights make everythiiiing sparkle. :)

Jamie Willow said...

sounds like so much fun...

Kristen and her husband are coming to nashville so I am super excited about that :) we will be super mellow I'm sure. ha!

Beka said...

Now I need to think about my party!!!!!!!!! :)

You are always an inspiration!

Sarah@afterhood said...

We used to have a New Years Eve hats & blowers parade for the kids, and call 12:00 early. Luckily they all gerw up honets!

Lyndee said...

I will be at my house alone and Jack will be at OUR HOUSE with attendants but for years he went to be before 10 and it just kept getting earlier so I shall pretend it is the same. I shall ring a bell if I happen to still be up at midnight. I am reading a good Irish Novel so that will keep me smiling. Have fun!