Sunday, November 7, 2010

The November Kitchen

November.
The month makes me think of a simmering stove in a glowing, twilight kitchen.
November should be lived in the kitchen.


I gave my exposed shelving an overhaul yesterday.
Perhaps in anticipation of this season of kitchen-dwelling.
Perhaps because they were starting to get really messy and neglected looking.
Whatever the cause, I am glad to have done it.
It makes me ready to set up camp in the hub of the home.


I'm a white and blue kind of person.
No matter the season, I am drawn to the crisp whites and fresh blues that tell of the clouds and sky.
I can add a touch of seasonal color here and there...
but blue and white are my palette.
The colors speak to me.
They invite me.


So, this November, we shall gather in my humble little kitchen.
And, though it is not perfect, we will create gorgeous food that nourishes the body and comforts the soul.


We will sip hot cocoa made with milk and topped with freshly whipped cream.
We will use the french press - beacuse it causes us to slow down.

We will browse beloved cook books and taste new dishes.
We will savor the warmth of an oven alive with sweet-smelling things.


We will light the strands of white lights and let them glow through the night
in the case of a wandering body, groggy from bed, searching for a mug of milk to help sleep come.


We will make the kitchen our home this month.
...and next month.
And probably January after that...
And we will revel in our hibernation.


Minestrone soup + Rosemary olive oil bread.
Sunday supper.


Easy Minestrone Soup

1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 large can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 can chickpeas (or any other bean)
any small pasta
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or 1 can)
3 carrots, chopped
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 dash (or 2...or 3) red pepper flakes
oregano to taste
salt and pepper to taste
3 garlic cloves, minced
pesto and fresh grated parmesan for garnish (optional)

Put all ingredients (except pasta, pesto and cheese) into a 6 qt. slow-cooker and cook until warmed through. Add pasta to cook the last 20 minutes. Dish into bowls and top with a dallop of basil pesto and grated parmesan. Serve with crusty bread.

Soup like this is really, very forgiving. So whatever you feel like putting into the pot will probably taste like a little bit of heaven. As long as you keep true to the spirit of the soup. Think Italian vegetable soup and you should be okay with whatever you add. Its the perfect thing to make on a November day with whatever you have in your cupboards. My recipe above is just a suggestion.

If, by some stroke of chance, you find us outside of the kitchen this November, we are probably cozied up on the couch doing something like this...
This book, Circle of Seasons is one of our favorites. Read my review here.

To find more of my recipes I have posted, visit my 'Recipes' tab.
And, by all means, spend a little time in your kitchen this November.

6 comments:

Cupcake Mama said...

First off...folks with open shelving in the kitchen are brave people! I like the look, but it is not for me! Second, "cozied up on the couch" in shorts and bare feet...hee hee! Insane weather shifts as of late around here, isn't it?

Lyndee said...

I love this post and can picture you now in your corner! Cozy and lovely! Your kitchen is so you!

Alexandria said...

this is dreamy ... and your kitchen looks great!

can one of your evenings in the kitch feature a special guest? ..sister/auntie Al? i would be honored :)

your a good mommy. your kids are going to grow up loving home and having great sentiment just like we did ... good mommies are bred, and you have been taught well prepared.

Alicia Marie said...

Open shelving scares me. So does the 80s hunter green of my kitchen...this is motivating me to finally paint it. (The green came with the house... not my choice)

Your kitchen is beautiful and cozy.

I have the same Anthro creamer container. :)

Jamie Willow said...

I love your shelving! It looks awesome! I even like it when it's all cluttery...it is just so easy to find stuff :)

cute pics as always! you should take a photography class too cause you have skillz :)

Anonymous said...

the shelves look perfect. Now I am working on mine. I may need some help! I "ditto" Alli's comment...the part about you being a good mommy and creating a cozy space for them to grow up in. xoxoxo M