Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Worth 1,000 Words

When people ask - with the nodding head and assumption that I will say, "yes, of course!" - if Britt is a good baby, I always surprise them with my answer:
No. No he's not a good baby.


They step back a moment and their breath catches in their throat.
They might give a little, awkward huff of laughter and then they look at me, puzzled, and ask, "really?"

Yes. Really.
My baby is naughty.
As naughty as they come, actually.

"But he seems so content."
As he blows bubbles at them and grunts and squeals when they tickle his cheeks.



My friend. Do not be fooled. He is content because you are in his face.
You are entertaining him. You see, my child is a people person.
A people baby.

God forbid someone gets out of his face.
If that happens the world comes to a halt and the giggles and bubbles turn into screeches and bellers.



He is high maintenance.
The highest of maintenance.
Like K2 high.

Can't shovel the food in fast enough.
Can't get a toy fun enough.
Can't get to the crib to fetch him quick enough.


He doesn't sleep.
He. Doesn't. Sleep.
Did you get that?

That means I don't sleep. 


 So we both go through our days in a delirious state of sleep-deprived give and take.
Mostly, I give and he takes.
(At least that's what it looks like from the outside...)


A 90 minute interval of sleep is a good stretch for him.
When he stirs its 0 to 60 in .2 seconds.
Going from an open slit of an eye to all out bawling for The Mama to hold and comfort.

For - dear me! - can it have possibly been more than an hour of no human interaction?


Must have touch.
Must have stimulation.
Must have love.
At all times.


I get frustrated.
I get worn down.
I [try not to] complain.

But when it comes down to it...
the way I feel about this boy.
It can't be hidden.
Actions speak louder than words.

And a picture?
A picture is worth a thousand of them...

photos taken by Alli.

6 comments:

Abby LaDuke said...

This is why I love you! You are the best mom ever ash:)

Sarah said...

Love this. Both of my boys were the same way. They did not sleep through until late ones. Like 20 months late. BTW the photos are gorgeous!

Mrs. D said...

Stunning pictures Ash! They just SCREAM .... LOVE!!!

Jamie Willow said...

you are seriously beautiful.

and a wonderful mommy :)

Andrea said...

Such beautiful pictures! Britt is adorable!

Katie said...

I loved every. single. thing. about this post. The good (and bad?) is that they won't always need us...and in the grand scheme of things, this year...+ of him desperately needing you, is just a blip on the radar of your life, and you will be better for it.