Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin and Spice and Everything Nice

Last week I got a baking bug - raided my pantry and discovered the massive cans of pumpkin that I bought up in anticipation of another (dreaded!) pumpkin shortage this Fall.


Pumpkin bread. Comin' right up.

But not just any old pumpkin bread. I was going for a replica of that fantastic stuff they sell at Starbucks with the almost-crunchy topping.

The Starbucks version.

So, here it is, my version of Starbucks Pumpkin Bread. Only better. How do I know this?
My Mama told me so...and Mama knows everything.



Pumpkin Spice Bread
Bread:
3 cups flour (you can use whole wheat)
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teasp. nutmeg
1 1/2 teasp. cinnamon
1 1/2 teasp. salt
2 teasp. baking soda
1 teasp. vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cups water
4 eggs
1 can pumpkin (single pie size)
1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped

Topping:
1/2 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
2 Tbspoons flax meal
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup oats
3 Tbspoons brown sugar
dash cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
Blend all ingredients in a food processor until it reaches the consistency of the topping in the photo.



Mix together flour, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, baking soda.
Add oil, vanilla, water, eggs, pumpkin and walnuts.
Pour into 3 well buttered and floured bread pans. (Butter the bottoms very well or the loaves will stick.)
Divide the topping into 3 portions and sprinkle it on top of the batter in the pans.
Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees or until knife comes clean.


These loaves freeze beautifully! And the recipe is still good if you don't feel like dealing with making the topping...but the pumpkin seeds on top make it extra special.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh, I love Starbucks pumpkin bread. I can't wait to try this.

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

Yum! Looks delish.

I got a recipe for pumpkin swirl brownies that are AMAZING. Can't wait to get baking myself!