Monday, October 11, 2010

Corn Chowder - Recipe of the Month

When I came home from the hospital, bearing my third baby in my arms instead of inside my belly, I was greeted to a home with candles burning, freshly vacuumed rugs and a pot of my mom's corn chowder hot on the stove.

Is there a more welcome feeling than knowing your mama has warm soup and bread waiting for you?

I think not.

My friend just brought home her second baby and I am bringing her a meal. Whipping up a pot of corn chowder - to welcome her into motherhood...again - is a small price to pay for me to get a quick newborn snuggle.


Corn Chowder


6-8 slices bacon - cooked and crumbled

1 large onion, chopped
3-4 diced potatoes
2 cups boiling water
12 oz corn, frozen, canned or fresh
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 quart milk


Cook the bacon and remove all grease from pan except about 2 Tbsp. Add onion to the pot and cook in bacon grease until soft. Add potatoes and water, cover and simmer about 10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Add corn, salt and pepper, milk and bacon. Heat well over low heat.
Makes 6 servings.

I'm off! Toting my container of corn chowder and a nice loaf of rustic bread for buttering and dipping.

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

StephG said...

mmmmm...this is gonna be added to my menu this week.

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

How much milk? Or did I miss something?