Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day

Last night I made two little lunches.
Turkey sandwiches. String cheese. Grapes. Cookies in a bag.
I wrote a note for each.
This morning I dressed two little bodies.
Fixed hair. Tied shoes. Helped with backpacks.

I took pictures. Loaded them into the car. Snapped seat belts.


This morning we looked both ways. Crossed at the crosswalk.
We found their names. Hung bags on the hooks.
I leaned in for a hug. "Be good, listen to your teachers." Got kisses.

This morning I drove away in a quiet car. Wondered what to do with myself.

This morning I cried.

8 comments:

Jamie Willow said...

they are so big! when did that happen :( ug.

Annie said...

Just think of all the fun things they'll have to share with you when they get home!

This is a tough thing about having 2 close together, they reach certain milestones practically at the same time!!

Alexandria said...

ahh... eve's looks SO big!!!! jeeze. so crazy.

good job, mama bear :)

Cupcake Mama said...

I didn't send my oldest to preschool and it is doubtful #2 will attend either. When she started Kdg last year, it was hard the first 2 days. But hearing how much she enjoyed her day made it a little easier to share her with others. An idea for a few years down the road, I put a silly joke or riddle in Miss M's lunchbox each day - it's a hit with the 1st grade set! And thanks for the award...I havea feeling you read several blogs, so I am honored!!

Lyndee said...

You are a good mama. I am proud of you and yes the heartstrings fray a bit at these times but they heal over time. I look at my youngest, your brawny man, and I am proud of the man he has become. Each independent step was good for him to do as it helped shape him. God loans them to us for awhile. Soon enough they stand alone and hopefully they will serve God well.

Alicia Marie said...

This post sent me into a slight panic. Already. Your kids are so sweet. You are a good momma.

Laura said...

I don't like this one bit. I told Elijah never to grow up yesterday. He said, "Ok. I'll just be a saber-toothed tiger." I like that idea better. He's so clever.

Callie said...

I cried reading and anticipating my own little one heading off someday.