Monday, September 27, 2010

A Day in September



It's Saturday morning.
The Brawny Man is off running a bootcamp for ladies desperate to get (or stay) in shape...
meanwhile, I'm home running a bootcamp of my own.

Welcome to the mess hall.
Today we are serving Kix and skim.
The troops dig in.




Pvt. Britt Jax is breaking ranks for a quick scrub down - he wet the bunk last night and was smelling less than daisy fresh.


 Baby is clean, he needs his fatigues for the day - a quick check of the weather (and facebook) gives me a clue on how to dress him.

(this is the end of my military analogy because I'm not very well versed in army lingo and, frankly, I'm annoying myself with it.)

The big piggies bring me every children's Bible we own and ask me to read them a story.
I read Creation, Adam & Eve's Sin and Noah's Ark.
I stifle a giggle at Beck's dubbing of the first couple as "Madame and Eve."
Oy...There are so many things a mama could say to that one...


 After our journey through Genesis, I need a bit of nourishment.


Scrambled eggs and mango it is...


Isn't it delightful when food is this pretty?

There are no photos of myself doing various cleaning up type activities.
No one wants to see vacuums and brooms, piles of laundry and dirty dishes...
They were there.
I didn't document because this is my blog and in my blog I don't want to remember that I had to do nitty gritties in my Day in September.
So, fast forward a couple of hours...


Isn't it delightful when babies waking up from their morning naps are this adorable?
(Right...baby is still in his onesie and stays in it until well after lunchtime. It's Saturday. Cut a girl a break.)


We sit for a little nursing session and a DVR'd Oprah episode - this one had John Legend singing from his new album. Which I must have. Pronto.


At least Miss Evie is dressed.
She gives baby brother a sweet squeeze.


Britt is eating some sort of applesauce/rice cereal concoction when Beck and Evie flit in from the back yard bearing the last pretty blooms of the butterfly bush.
So sweet.


"Hey, Ma, if you're gonna put a bunch of pictures of me on the Internet, the least you could do is put some pants on me."
So I did.
Red pants and to bed for nap #2.


He's not always the best napper - but today was a good nap day.


I set the big piglets up with a puzzle (a fun gift from Auntie) while I commenced more of Operation Cleanup. (More Army talk...I guess I had a little more in me.)


Old magazines and catalogues bound for recycling.


By now, all three kids are asleep and Mr. B. is home from inflicting pain and anguish on training his victims clients.
I whip us up a bit of lunch.
Fish and almonds on top of brown rice studded with little bits of mango and parsley - so good

I go to fetch the mail and I'll bet what I find there trumps ANY of the things you've found in your mailbox lately...


A bottle of ants.
MmmHmm.
That's how we roll.
After my spine has had it's fit of shivers, I usher the ants into their new home and The Kid With The Best Bedhead Ever eats his Nutella on toast snack and watches them tunnel and dig.


Ants in the dinning room.
Pure class.

 
I leave Mr. B. with the kids (and the ants) to indulge myself with one of my very favorite luxuries:
reading a good novel in my bed, covers up to my chin, followed by a nap.
Saturdays are good to me.
No...my Brawny Man is good to me.

When I wake, I hear squeals of "Gramma Honey!" from the driveway and I know my mom has arrived to play babysitter for the evening.


She came bearing dinner in the crock and dessert for the piggies.
Honestly, what a perfectly Grandma thing to do.
(In the crockpot? Stuffed peppers...crazy good.)


I steal away to the bedroom to get gussied up for a date with Mr. B.
(See my gorgeous peacock? I love him. From here.)


This is me. Attempting to be glam and sassy.
Instead I look a little like I might have a rare lip disorder.
Whatever. I felt hot and I was going out as a woman instead of a mommy for the first time in months. Hence, the strange pucker pose.


Britt's got his Gram and his mama's milk - he's good to go for the night.


We're off...


...and we're holding hands.
Romance.


We arrive at the Symphony.
Yeah...my man takes me to the symphony. No ordinary DinnerAndAMovie for us.


Such gorgeousness.


We got to hear the music of Tchaikovsky.
And hold hands some more.
And whisper during the loud parts.
And act like a couple instead of people-who-have-kids.


So, yeah, it was a nice evening.


I promised total and utter edge-of-your-seat fun for this Saturday Day in September. Did I deliver, or did I deliver?

You're probably parched and out of breath from the excitement of it all - go grab a drink of water, let your heart rate return to normal and then come back here and link up with your own Day in September (be sure it's the link to the actual post, not just your blog url) so we can come to your blog and get a little glimpse of your day.


9 comments:

Lyndee said...

Your day in Sept. looked really fun Ash. Mine was okay. I posted on linkey. I also posted on fb. Love you all! Hey Lucky gramma honey!

Jamie Willow said...

your pucker picture is my favorite. oh you are so stinkin' cute!

ethelmaepotter! said...

What a fantastic day and lovely fammily! Sounds like you really live the good life - sitters, kids bringing you flowers, happy baby, and handsome man to take you to the symphony.

Thanks for sharing your Day in September - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Andrea said...

Looks like a fun hot date!!

Annie said...

Your September day, was far more exciting than mine! I just had to live vicariously through you for a few moments...a 'real' date? You lucky girl!

Alicia Marie said...

What a fun date! I am more jealous about the book/nap time though! Fun stuff...

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

Looks like a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing it with us.

p.s. I laughed out loud as I read your "rare lip disorder" line. :)

The Arnold Family said...

I'll document mine tomorrow. The end of the month really snuck up on me. Look for mine tomorrow night or Thursday morning! :)

The Arnold Family said...

Alright i'm linked up. :)