Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cannon Beach: Surf, Sand and Shaker Shingles.

This is a bit of a continuation of my post on our trip to Oregon.

Saturday dawned bright and early - the weather was amazing...we could see our breath when we walked out of the hotel at 7:30 am. It was that chilly.


The drive from Portland to Cannon Beach was perfect. Foggy mountains looming in the distance, grand old pines on either side of the road, fun little road-side farmer's markets. Divine.

And then, we arrived. Cannon Beach stole my heart. I had no clue it would be this adorable, New England-y town with shaker shingles and white trim. Shakers are my favorite exterior design element.


The whole reason we made the trip to Oregon was to celebrate the wedding of Mr. B's childhood buddy. Here they are in their wedding duds before heading down to the shore for the nautical nuptials. (Yup, I just used alliteration for the second time in this post - I'm cheesy like that.)

Look at this. It's like the Brawny Man and Mr. Clean. Seriously - makes me want to clean my kitchen...

I'm in love with this Grandpa (the groom's) and his girlfriend.
They've been "goin' together for about a year now."
Love. It.


Know what else I love?
This guy.
And this little, grumpy baby.
And this beach.
And that a huge rock back there.




It was chilly on the beach and he still had a cold. Give him a break.


Pretty wedding site with Mason jars of beach rocks and shells and sand.

They "Do."

Signing the certificate.
I was checking out the bride's sweet, feathered hair clip and her luscious white flowers.
She looked so beautiful - and rightly so.



After the wedding and small brunch gathering, we changed out of our fancies and donned some blue jeans. We strolled around the town - not yet ready to get back in the car and head to the city - and made our way to the beach.


Stealthy photos of stranger's beachfront homes.


One of the most beautiful beaches I've had the pleasure of visiting.
Look at those mountains!
Excuse the pitiful Midwestern girl.
I get excited about things like salt water and mountains...heck, I even get excited about rolling hills.
Beginning to think I'm not cut out for endless corn fields and the occasional silo sighting.






That mammoth back there is called Haystack Rock.
It's a marvel.
Totally amazing.

The pleasure of dipping my toes in the icy Pacific might just last me all Summer long...

***


Not to worry, when we were leaving for the Portland airport on Sunday morning
(we decided to forego our trip to Seattle and save it for next time - a sick baby makes for a poor travelling companion) I got a chance to try for a Voodoo donut one more time. Second time's a charm, ladies and gents! I got my sugar high.

This menu makes me blush...

Sugar-holic dream: Buckets of Donuts.
I got the bacon maple bar.
Yeah, a donut with bacon on top.
Surprisingly addictive.

Voodoo Donuts II is housed in a pepto pink brick building.
A fitting color for a tummy-ache waiting to happen.

So yeah, I loved our trip.

Oregon, you haven't seen the last of us...

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Todd and I went to Cannon Beach BK (before kids) our favorite trip ever. Hands down. Haystack is my favorite too. Did you go tidepooling? That drive out to the beach is also to die for... I hear you about being a midwestern gal.

PS I love your aliteration!

Lance Lockhart said...

Another Great Post!

Alexandria said...

dreamy! we belong there.

Burkinator said...

We really live in an amazingly beautiful and varied country, don't we? Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your photo array!

Andrea said...

Looks beautiful, my family lives in OR, I've never been. But we're going next summer for a family reunion.

Katie Beth said...

Okay, I officially want to move to Cannon Beach. And I'm laughing at the menu of that doughnut place.....

Lyndee said...

Ira called and asked me Why we did leave the west coast after this trip...so he liked it too. I left to come back to WI after many years away and I do believe it was God's plan. I can list many things that came good from it, but I kinda miss the weather and some of the really fun places I loved to go. I would adore a long visit every so often.

Karen R. said...

Oh I have always wanted to go to Vodoo Donought place since I saw it on Man Vs. Food...yummy! Good for you for trying the bacon one!!