Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bikini Cake + Patriotic Berries

"Mom!" Evie's eyes are as big as great, blue saucers. "Daddy went and found a really big bikini in the garden! Come see!" She's practically jumping out of her skin and pulling me to the back door.

Bikini? A bikini in the garden?

I follow her, wondering...Have the neighbors had another wild swim party?

And this is what Mr. B. brings into the house:

That's a big bikini all right. And much more welcome in my sink than the feisty neighbor's swimming garb.

What to do with my first massive zucchini? Bake a cake.


Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan or bundt pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.

Mmmm...Sweet but not too sweet. And there's a veggie in there - oh so healthy. ;)

So that was a few days ago. The last two pieces of 'bikini cake' were staring me down from under the cake dome. I'm pretty sure they were calling out mournfully, "Eat me."
No, bikini cake, I will not eat you. Because, although you have an adorable name, a bikini is the last thing I'll want to think about after your effects on my body.
So I saved the last of it for the kids.

Since tomorrow is the 4th - such a fun holiday - I whipped up some cream cheese frosting (just combine softened cream cheese, confectioners sugar and a little vanilla) and gathered my blueberries and strawberries and let the kids loose.



They were so delighted to decorate their slices of cake and enthralled with the idea that there was zucchini baked inside.

Maybe I'm raising a couple of culinary art geniuses.



And then, they dug in.

After a little photo shoot of the finished products.
And this one...

Well, he was feeling a little sorry for himself to be missing out on the berry art and consumption.
Next year, cherub, next year.


And now the cake is gone, so I can stop hearing voices coming from my cake dome.

7 comments:

The Arnold Family said...

Mmmm. Looks fantastic.

Lyndee said...

I have no bikini to make a cake and no dome to display it either. However I will enjoy yours to the fullest. Nice blog, nice pictures or the hooligans and their lovely creations and of Mr. Wistful longing for his chance.

Anonymous said...

love these pics! Chocolate zuccini cake is the best! Ill have to try this recipe, once Im off the starvation diet haha!

Saundra said...

Lovin those piggy toes:) Can't wait to meet him and Evie for the first time! Ya know, we don't have to wait for Laura to come, we're practically neighbors.

Kimberly Ginn said...

So cute Ashley! I have never heard of chocolate zucchini cake but my parents just gave me a big zucchini from their garden, so I will have to try your recipe! You always take the cutest pics of your kids!!

Jen Kershner said...

Love the big bikini! I think that cake might just be the only way I will ever eat zucchini. It looks de-lish!

theitaliandyes said...

We totally tried your recipe and it was so ahhhmazing! Best way ever, to eat zucchini!