Thursday, June 3, 2010

Blueberry Pie...for Lunch

What's the point of being a grown up if you can't allow yourself to act like a little kid now and again?
I wanted to bake. I baked a pie (with help from the piglets) and I ate that pie for lunch. Because I can. Because I'm the grown up here and I said, "yes."
Yeah, it was sort of heavenly.
Remember this blueberry picking expedition from last July?
I found these in the bottom of my freezer:
Long-lost berries!
I wondered if berries that were almost a full year old would be nasty. I decided "no, they would not be" and formulated a plan - we'd bake a pie.
And Beck, inundated with maybe a bit too many episodes of this, could hardly contain himself.

Turns out we had the perfect amount of berries for a pie - 5 cups.
And a refrigerated pie crust in the back of the fridge.
I do not make my own crust, folks.
A girl has to have priorities and homemade pastry is not on my list.
Perfect, white-dusted berries.
He's almost five...sob!
Blueberry Pie

3/4 cup white sugar -
or less depending on the sweetness of your berries
4-5 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
a dash of lemon juice
5 cups fresh blueberries
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1 tablespoon butter
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries.
Line pie dish with one pie crust. Pour berry mixture into the crust, and dot with butter. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide strips, and make lattice top. Crimp and flute edges.
Put tin foil around edges of crust.
Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.




It's literally beautiful.



I whipped a little cream - add sugar and vanilla - to make it extra special.


Lunch is served.



I'm compiling a link list of all my Star-Crossed recipes. You can find it at the top of this page.

5 comments:

A. Suzanne said...

this is so cute.

p.s.
i think i need some pie! on my way!

Rae Nolt said...

Seriously. That whole post I wanted to be you. Loved it!

Anonymous said...

cute....soon it will be time to pick again. Your a good "mama bear"
xoxoxo M

StephG said...

Pie for lunch is perfect! We just picked strawberries yesterday and I'm thinking strawberry pie is on the "menu"...ooohh..a great tip I read was smooth a layer of cream cheese on the bottom of your pie crust before adding the strawberry filling! I thought it sounded heavenly so I'll probably give it a try.
Just not sure if I'll add a bit of sugar and vanilla to the cream cheese...yeah! Why not? Can't hurt, right? :D

Anne Marie said...

what a nice dress? where ever did you get that? with the ruffles...and hand stitched rosette...and that linen looks divine

hee hee

there is no other better place to pick blueberries than in Michigan - I grew up there you know - and we go back every year to pick!