Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Privilege of Motherhood

Thinking about the privilege of motherhood today...
I don't view my role of "mom" as a privilege most days. But that is the truth of it. I am a mother and I am absolutely blessed to be so.

This morning I was reading from Feminine Appeal, a book by Carolyn Mahaney. I was reading the chapter called The Blessing of Loving my Children, it woke me up (again) to the vital role mothers play in the lives of their children.

Mommies, what you are doing every day is huge. You are desperately needed in your children's lives. You are not just a background player; you are not just a diaper changer, a boo-boo kisser, a time-out giver, a tucker-inner, a lunch maker, a baby swaddler, a chauffeur, a money source...
You are so much more.

Those prayers you say with your babies every night are shaping them to be people who put their trust in God.
The manners you're teaching; the "pleases" and "thank yous" you're constantly pulling from little mouths are outlining to these little ones how to be a successful people in society.
The food you put on the table is nourishment to new bodies that are growing and blooming by the second. Bodies that will serve and carry these people into adventures and endeavors you can't begin to dream of.

I had the opportunity to be on a panel of ladies at a women's event a few months ago. One of the questions asked who shaped you to be the person you are today? Who do you look up to the most?
Out of the four women on that panel, three answered that their mothers were their biggest influence. The fourth woman said it was her grandmother.

In the book I mentioned earlier, the writer wrote about a pastoral conference that 120 clergymen attended. A question was asked and the essence of that question was, "Who was used by God to bring about in you a change of heart to lead you to a faith in God?" Over 100 of the men answered, "My mother."

Dads are important in the development of their sweet babies too, but I'd say the mother's have it on this one.
Kids need their moms. Moms are life-givers, nurturers, sources of wisdom and prayer lifters.

I have a lot of thoughts floating in my head about motherhood and the importance of a present, loving mom in a child's life. I'll be doing some subsequent posts on the privilege of motherhood. Until then, I want to wish the sweet moms reading this blog a Happy Mother's Day.

And I want to thank my three freakishly lovable children for making me into a Mother.



I love you, babies and I feel blessed among women to be your mommy.

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!
Psalm 127:3-5

7 comments:

Truly His said...

What a precious post!! You are truly blessed and those babies will never forget all you have done for them!!! Thanks for being a GREAT mother!!

Sarah said...

Beautifully written Ashley. Happy Mothers Day!

a sojourner's scrawls said...

i cried.

our family is full of great mommies :)

Mrs.M said...

Favorite thing I've read all day. It was beautiful. <3 Happy Mothers day, Ash.

Katie Beth said...

Lovely post, as usual! Happy Mother's Day, Ashley! :)

Rae Nolt said...

LOVE this post! SO good!
I tagged you in my latest blog. No worries if ya don't get around to it! I know what life is like with a newborn! ;)

Lyndee said...

I love being my kids mom! I also love being your mother in law!