Saturday, January 9, 2010

Floor Plan Saturday ~ 10th Edition

Golly, I have a lot on my to-do list. Like, depressing, nasty amounts of un-fun chores. Something about an impending baby makes a mama want to clean until she's utterly spent.

Another thing about an impending baby: No energy and no attention span. Thus, this post.


I googled "fabulous house plans" and this site came up. My Lordy, are they fabulous...fabulously huge. I had trouble finding a manageable one. When a 23,000 square-footer appeared on the web page I knew I was in deep.
I chose the Stone Pond Plan.


Stats:
Total Living Area: 3912
Sq. Ft.First Floor: 2612
Sq. Ft.Second Floor: 1300
Bedrooms: 4
Full Baths: 3
Half Baths: 1



First Floor:visit the actual website for a larger view.
Pretty grand, right?
Here's what I love: The Port Cochere. Drive the car up in rain/snow, drop yourself and groceries off and stay dry. Adore it.
I also love the open kitchen to the family room. Although the shapes of the rooms are a little confusing for me.
The library. Of course.
And a lovely master suite.
Don't love: The strange way they put stone on very small amounts of the house (see the first photo). If you're gonna build a house this magnificent, go all out...use stone all over the place.
The suuuuper high ceilings in the family room. I like rooms to feel cozy and intimate. Windows from top to bottom leave me feeling exposed and I would have NO idea how to treat them.
Second Floor:

Great bedroom layout on the 2nd floor and even a little nook for an office. I approve.


Finished Basement:


A theatre and rec room and media room in the basement. Because we all need those...separately, please.

Rear Elevation:

A few photos of the house finished & decorated:

Have to say, these photos look like a bad interior designer had a heyday all over this joint. Icky. Icky. Icky. It's all very contrived and straight out of the warehouse. But now you can see the bones of the place.
I do quite like the massive stone fireplace in the library though.

Rate it! I give it a 4 out of 5...with some touch ups. It's got potential. You?

10 comments:

Katie Allegretti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Allegretti said...

I love this house, and I actually like the bits of stone on the exterior...looks lovely. I want to build this house somewhere amazing....I could be very happy living there!

Lori said...

W/windows THAT big, you DON'T treat them....just hope the house backs to wooded property that is YOURS! ;o)

We don't have treatments on our back windows: sliding doors in dining, windows in kitchen, but we DO have treatments in the bedroom. ;o) However, our house backs to a ravine that is difficult to get thru. No nosy neighbors.

Lovely house! Love the unusual shapes of the rooms. And the covered drive to get to the mudroom. Fantastic idea!

Kimberly Ginn said...

If you can afford a house like this I dont think you are going to be bringing home the groceries...the help will get the luxury of staying dry in the rain though! About the layout - the big think I dont like is the proximity of the master bedroom to the family room. It should be more tucked away. And of course I hate the bathroom decor - stone walls and wallpaper? Really? Maybe you just have to see it and have music playing and some nice bath scents to get the feel -? I do like the room with the stone fireplace - is it the library? It seems cozy nuf to me!

Rae Nolt said...

At this point in my life, I'm looking for MORE ROOM. My house is so tiny...so everything looks good to me...just because of space! I loved everything about this house. The rooms, the closets, the big bedrooms...all things I don't have. Sign me up! Just please let me be in the house before the baby comes! THANKS!

Saundra said...

I'm with you, a 4 out of 5, it's a great house with some help. First, you need laundry facilities on all 3 floors for that size, who wants to carry a laundry basket up and down those stairs. I like the looks of th stairs but not fuctionable and dangerous for little ones. I like the stone but there's too much in that bath, it looks too cold. I like the colors and it could use some "coziness" help. I agree with a house like that. would have help with groceries and definitely cleaning.

Jamie Willow said...

I admit I do not have the patience to visually look at floor plans and make sense of them.

but from the photo's it looks spacious and grand. I like those qualities! I'd add my own style though...not a fan of the decorations I could see.

Annie said...

I like it. It's obviously beautiful and spacious, but I must admit that I am a fan of uber modern simplistic design, so this isn't the first style of house I would choose.

But I wouldn't complain if this were my house either. (Or If I were a guest staying in this house)!

3 stars.

Natalie said...

kinda big, but i like all the funny shaped spaces. give dimension. and i love all your random posts :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice topics, I am looking this type of topics. But I need more informations. I know a New Drafting CAD Site gives away over 100 House plans for free.
SDS PLAN