Friday, August 7, 2009

Man Food

The children were left to the devices of their (ever loving, sometimes misguided) father tonight while I got a night out with my sister to see the movie Julie & Julia.

When we returned the house had quite an...um...pungent odor about it. The kids were happily munching down on what they informed me was "Man Food."

Man Food: Roast Beef (from a can) atop a slice of wheat bread and butter.


I'm cringing. I have visions of Julia Child's boeuf bourguignon floating around in my head and my children are eating canned "meat."

It took them an average of 12 minutes per bite to chew. Why is it that mystery meat grows as you chew it? It just gets drier and drier...and spongier and spongier.

I'm off to light some candles to rid my home of the stench...

P.S. Julie & Julia is an adorable movie and any foodie or francophile or person with just plain good taste in movies ought to take themselves out on the town to see it.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my! Sounds like something my husband would do! Man food? Hilarious!

Lyndee said...

Man food is hot beef sandwiches and cardboard pizza and sardines on crackers late at night.
I long to see Julie and Julia! Hope I can find a man sitter so I can go!

Jamie Willow said...

oh Mr. B. Man food is for men. lol.

StephG said...

How ironic that you go see this awesome foodie movie and you come home to "man food"...I can just imagine the conversation he had with the kids in the kitchen as he was opening the can and buttering the bread! So funny!!!!

Michelle said...

The irony is pretty great. I love what Daddies come up with when charged with creating a dinner menu... :)

Katie said...

But it was served on super cute dishes, that counts for something. :)