Friday, March 27, 2009

{not so} Frivolous Friday


Most High, omnipotent, good Lord,
To You alone belong praise and glory,
Honor and blessing.


No man is worthy to breathe your name.
Be praised, my Lord, for all your creatures.

In the first place for the blessed Brother Sun,
Who gives us the day and enlightens us through you.
He is beautiful and radiant with his great splendor,
giving witness to you, Most Omnipotent One.




Be praised, my Lord, for Sister Moon and the stars
formed by you so bright, precious and beautiful.


Be praised, my Lord, for Brother Wind
And the airy skies, so cloudy and serene;
for every weather, be praised, for it is life-giving.



Be praised, my Lord, for Sister Water,
So necessary yet so humble, precious and chaste.


Be praised, my Lord, for Brother Fire,
Who lights up the night.
He is beautiful and carefree, robust and fierce.





Be praised, my Lord, for our sister, Mother Earth,
Who nourishes us and watches us
While bringing forth abundance of fruits
with colored flowers and herbs.



Be praised, my Lord, for those who pardon through your love
And bear weakness and trial.
Blessed are those who endure in peace,
for they will be crowned by you, Most High.





Be praised, my Lord, for our sister, Bodily Death,
whom no living man can escape.
Woe to those who die in sin.


Blessed are those who discover your holy will.
The second death will do them no harm.
Praise and bless my Lord.
Render thanks.
Serve him with great humility.
Amen.


Prayer from Francis of Assisi



click here to find the source of all flickr photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never read this before but with the images it is beautiful and provoking. I have always been intrigued with St. Francis....to see with his eyes and live with his simplicity would do us all good.
m