Friday, December 12, 2008

Aunt Nona's Crescent Cookies

I've heard these cookies called Mexican Wedding Cookies, Italian Wedding Cookies, Greek Wedding Cookies and Crescent Cookies...whatever they're called, they're one of my favorite to make at Christmas time.



My great Aunt Nona (or, "Aunt Donut" if you're feeling especially sassy) had a perfect recipe for them and mom shared it with me this week as we created our Christmas batch of Crescent cookies. She pulled out a little index card with the recipe typed - via typewriter - crookedly across it. The edges were beginning to brown. Here it is:








Aunt Nona's Crescents

1 cup butter
1/2 cup powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup ground nuts




blend butter, sugar and vanilla, add flour in rather small amounts.
then add nuts.
shape in balls or crescents
bake 350----15 min.
roll in powder sugar while warm and again before serving if desired.






I like them made with pecans or walnuts.



marthastewart.com


What is your favorite Christmas Cookie? And click here to find out your Christmas Cookie style. :)

7 comments:

This is us said...

I love making these cookies at Christmas time too! In fact I made them last week! :) YUM!!

Jamie Willow said...

They look like what Robin makes me every year and she calls Russian Tea Cakes. Whatever they are called they are my FAVORITE!

Lyndee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kmwithlori said...

In my family, we call them Pecan Puffs. And we roll them twice in powdered sugar. Yummy! :o)

Rachel D. said...

Snickerdoodles!! Yummm!

The Arnold Family said...

My Christmas Cookie Style Is: Rich And Dense:
Nothing but the most decadent of sweets will do for you. Using a free hand with butter, heavy cream, and, in many cases, a generous dose of dark chocolate results in luxuriously rich and dense desserts. Because they are so rich, most cookies that fall into this category are best enjoyed cut into small pieces and shared in batches. You're bound to like Brownies, Blondies, and Pecan Tassie


And it is right on. The richer the better.

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

My faves are thumbprints. The kind my mom makes. With lots of white, homemade frosting on the pecan-rolled thumb-printed balls... YUM.