Monday, March 31, 2008

Ole!

Before I even start, I have to apologize for not giving you this a-maz-ing recipe before now. Wow! How terribly unthoughtful of me. I mean really, its just about the best thing you can put in your mouth!

Okay, so without further ado, here it is!


Mexican Casserole

Tortilla Chips
4 oz. can of green chilies
1 pint sour cream (16 oz)
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teasp. oregano
1 teasp. cumin or chili powder
1 lb ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 lb shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend

Brown meat and onion with some salt & pepper.
Mix sour cream, evap. milk, chilies and spices in large bowl.
Drain meat of fat and add to sour cream mixture.

Layer just enough chips in a 13 x 9 casserole to cover bottom and sides.
Add meat/sour cream mixture over chips.
Sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve with shredded lettuce, salsa and remaining chips.

Oh, lawzy mercy, is this a good recipe! Mom has been making it for yeeears and its one of my comfort foods. (This, and cream of wheat loaded with sugar and butter, don't ask...)

I made this last night for dinner and the kids loved it to pieces (literally, like, pieces all over the floor). I served it with brown rice and black beans and all that type of yummy stuff. I substituted ground turkey for the ground beef to cut back on the fat a little bit. It wasn't terrible, but I like it with beef better. Of course.

Oh and the leftovers...the leftovers are a vision! Really they are delicious. Just as good as the first time around. ;)

Anyway, make this one and let me know how it turns out!

3 comments:

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

Ooooooh... It's 7 p.m., I am still at work, and I am very, very hungry.

Now I am hungry for this tasty dish you post of.

Thanks a lot.

;)

Mother Ring said...

Yum! Thanks so much for posting this! It sounds delish so I think I'll make this tomorrow.

I also substitute MorningStar's Veggie "Ground Beef" Crumbles for beef in our meals. It's not so bad. Even Dave eats it happily.

Rachel said...

Oh, that is yummy! I used to make that often during my newlywed days. My husband and I could polish it off in one sitting. Hmmm.. I think that may be why he doesn't weigh now what he did then. But it is yummy nonetheless.