Monday, January 7, 2008

Constant Dripping?

"A continual dripping on a rainy day and a quarrelsome wife [or woman] are alike." Proverbs 27:15




If there's one thing that can make me lose it, it's an incessantly dripping faucet. Plink, plink, plink...and just when you think you've fixed it and turn to walk away...PLINK!


This was the topic at my women's Bible study this morning. I don't really consider myself a "nag" but I decided to ask Mr. B. what he thought (he's the expert, right?).

Me: "Complete and utter honesty is needed here. This is not a trick question. Answer me straight."

Him: "Ok..." A little scared.

Me: "Am I a nag?"

Him: Looking at me warily. "Umm..." Trying to decide if I'm serious about the 'honesty' part of my request. I guess he decided I was serious because his answer was this, "You have those tendencies."

Me: Nodding...taking it like a man. Er...woman.


I think most women have this tendency though. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I mean, why else would there be verses about it in the Bible?

But, since my word for '08 is B E A U T Y, I was impacted by this study. Nagging? Doesn't 'add to the beauty' much, huh?

One of the ladies (most are mothers and wives) said something that really hit home with me. She said that God has put us (as mothers/wives) in a place of ultimate influence in our families. You know that saying, "If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy!" It's soooo true! My attitude, more than anyone else in our house, dictates how everyone else feels. Not sure why, but it's a fact.
Another of the verses we looked at was Proverbs 21:19. "It is better to live in a desert land than with a quarrelsome and fretful woman."
Wow. A waste-land is preferable to a fretful woman? That's tough.

I do not want to drive my husband and children to a desert land with my niggling requests and frets. I want to be a joy, a refuge, and woman that Adds to the Beauty of our home.

Here are a couple of quotes that spoke to me from our study book, Cultivating Contentment by Women of Faith:

"Whiners neither enjoy nor give joy. But grace-filled people are reputable, sought after, and deeply loved."

"A calmer faith - that's the quiet place within us where we don't get whiplash every time life tosses us a curve. When we don't revolt when His plan and ours conflict. Where we relax (verses stew, sweat, and swear) in the midst of an answerless season. Where we accept (and expect) deserts in our spiritual journey as surely as we do joy." -Pasty Clairmont

4 comments:

sofistikated1 said...

Woowee!! Did you write this just for me?!?!

The Arnold Family said...

Good stuff!

Lyndee said...

I have really turned into a nag now as Jack falls often and forgets more often. I am trying to transition to a calmer person who can just let Jack be who he is right now. It is hard though. I hope you get onto how not to nag or be quarrelsome! sounds like a good study!

Sandy said...

I've asked my husband the same question - I need to make sure that I'm keeping "in check." We write a lot about that in our Married but not Engaged book.:)

Great post, Mrs. B!