Saturday, December 1, 2007

God Bless Us, Every One!


Thankfully, my afternoon and night ended up much nicer than my morning began. After Beck smeared raw egg into my clean carpet and brand new draperies, smashed a favorite vase to smithereens and pummeled his little sister in the bathtub, I was ready to call it a day, crawl into bed and go comatose. Glad I didn't.

I dumped the blasted...er...lovely children on Mr. B. and got out of the house as soon as I could.


I found solace and caffeine at the nearest bookstore and emerged two hours later with a lighter step and the confidence that I could face the rest of the day. If it weren't for the bookstore/coffee shop combo I would be a bear of a person.


Grandma arrived just in time for Mr. B. and I to gussy up, kiss the babies goodbye and head out on the town.



We made our 5 o'clock reservation at a new-to-me restaurant that sits atop a hotel and slowly rotates for a good view of the city. Lovely atmosphere, lovely food and lovely company.



We ordered cake (a must at a birthday celebration) and it was the B E S T Cake I think I have ever had. Not kidding. Even Mr. B. had what we shall call "an experience" with this cake. It was called Tuxedo Cake...or something like that. This Cake. It takes your taste buds to new levels. This Cake. It makes you sing praises to the gods who created it. This Cake. Ah...this Cake.
I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and she talks about pizza she had in Naples, Italy. Eating this Cake reminded me of what she says, "I love my pizza so much, in fact, that I have come to believe in my delirium that my pizza might actually love me, in return. I am having a relationship with this pizza, almost an affair. Meanwhile, Sofie is practically in tears over hers, she's having a metaphysical crisis about it..."

Maybe I should create an entire entry for The Cake. Maybe I should create an entire label for The Cake. Or an entire blog. Really, it was that good.


Layers of amazing cheesecake and chocolate ganache with a berry compote on top. Ughhh...

Next (after we recovered from our cake coma) we drove a few blocks to the Fabulous Fox Theatre and saw Christmas Carol. Such a good way to start the Christmas season. Tradition, carols and ladies in Victorian dress.

I think Mr. B. and I held hands all night. That was maybe the best part - other than that Cake. It had been such a long time since we got to do something more than a quick dinner and home to the children.


All in all? A good birthday.

I got presents. I shall share them with you after the weekend.

I love this man.

3 comments:

Lyndee said...

I am so glad it turned out well. Jams said she had your attention and the darlings got into the eggs. Pity but those awful moments turn into great stories for later...that is small consolation but true. Be blessed I loved your blog and the sharing of your time together. Mostly I love you and love that you love my son!

Sandy said...

Oh, beautifully written and I love the photos, once again!

Lori B said...

Wonderful day!!
Lori