Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Connection

It was a rough day. One of those that I drudged through with the sole ambition of "making it." I was blindly accomplishing my menial tasks just to put the big check mark on my list of to-do's.
I don't think I even stopped to really look at the children, much less smile or cuddle them.
It was finally one hour 'til bed-time and I was preparing to heave my huge sigh of night night relief.
Clean diapers. Check.
Clean jammies. Check. I was ready to usher the munchkins to the couch or our story reading when I was stopped by a little body in the path I was blazing. The look in his eyes was one of quiet desperation as he whispered, "Hold you..."
It was like he snapped and I fell out of my trance.
I bent and gathered him up. He melted into me.
We stood for a precious two minutes (an eternity in a toddler's world). His limp noodle legs dangling down past my knees. Head on my shoulder. Little hands grasping my shirt.
From the outside it looked for all the world like I was holding him. In reality, he was holding me. I didn't feel my need for the love he could give me until I was getting it. The connection was like balm.
When the spell broke - as it always does with little ones - I planted myself on the floor and watched his little sister's baby face light up. She was in my lap in an instant.

I sang the sweet lullaby to a rapt audience and we were all refreshed by the realization of the simplicity and urgency of our need for one another.







May 2007

7 comments:

Shanilie said...

Hi there! I randomly came across your blog today and I love it! I love meeting other moms especially Christian Moms too! Love the photos! Please feel free to pop by my blog some time :)

Alli said...

i cried.


..just so you know.

Jamie Willow said...

um..you made both your sisters cry today...that was possibly the sweetest blog I've read...you are a good mommy for sure and a great woman.

Lyndee said...

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow for babies grow up we have learned to our sorrow so quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep I'm rockin my babies and babies don't keep!

Sandy said...

Aahhh, so beautifully written!

I remember those moments well -- they still happen but in a different way now (as my sons are taller than me!)

I've missed so many of your posts since you WON -- how fun to catch up!

Hugs!

Stacy said...

Oh boy do I have days like this. (Too many!) I can get so TO-DO oriented and sort of forget to look at them all day.

My son (4) still says, "I wanna hold you", too. I love that phrase. I *so* do not want him to grow out of that.

Great post.
~Stacy

A Woman Who is: said...

Lovely cherished moments those baby hugs. Ahh I do remember well.
Your children are very huggable.